Everyone on the Internet has exposure to malware and hacking threats. Some type of malware is involved…
Chiropractic Questions Answered
By: Colby Staubs DC
These are the most common questions that we get from every medical doctor that I talk with.
What Do We Treat ?
- Our doctors specialize in the evaluation and treatment of neuromusculoskeletal disorders
- We excel in the treatment of low back pain, neck pain, and headaches, including disc injury, and soft tissue injury secondary to Low Speed Rear Impact Collisions (LOSRIC)
- Virtually 100% of what we treat is of a musculoskeletal origin and responds very well to conservative chiropractic care
Commonly Treated Conditions
- Neck pain, arm pain, and headache
- Low back and/or leg pain including HNP/radiculopathy (usually treated conservatively with flexion-distraction)
- Extremity sprain/strain
- Carpal/Tarsal Tunnel Syndromes
- Facet syndrome, myofascial pain disorders, fibromyalgia (MD/DC approach preferred)
- Scoliosis evaluation
- The mode of treatment most often used in a Chiropractic setting is spinal manipulation.
- A wealth of research exists on the effectiveness and safety of appropriately administered spinal manipulation (copies of specific literature can be provided upon request).
- Therapy modalities are also administered when pain, spasm and inflammation are present.
- Exercises are given to virtually every patient.
- Activities of Daily Living are also discussed with each patient, in addition to nutritional issues when appropriate or requested.
Our office utilizes several forms of basic therapeutic modalities. Patients requiring more extensive therapy are referred to local PT centers.
- High volt: electric muscle stimulation
- Interferrential Current
- Intersegmental Traction
- Hot and Cold packs
- TENS: In advanced or permanent cases
- Patient safety is always a concern
- Our doctors carefully screen each patient to determine if they are a candidate for chiropractic care/manipulation/rehab.
- If a potential risk is identified the patient is sent back to the referring physician for further diagnostic tests or alternative treatment options.
- One of the greatest concerns regarding a referral to a chiropractor is that of liability. However, please consider that our doctors follow very strict guidelines.
- Liability associated with spinal manipulation is very low. The average D.C. pays a mere $1,400 per year in malpractice premiums……so you be the judge whether or not liability truly exists concerning referral to a DC.
Our office adheres to stringent nationally accepted guidelines. In general, if a patient does not respond with 2-4 weeks of care, treatment is terminated and other factors are considered.
Typical Treatment Strategy:
- 2 weeks initially, followed by re-evaluation.
- If improvement noted, treatment continues.
- If no improvement, change treatment for two weeks, and re-evaluate again.
- Referral back to PCP/Specialist if improvement unsatisfactory at any point.
- Advancing neurological deficits
- Joint infection
- Joint instability
- Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Abnormal provocative maneuver (History of CVA)
- High risk pregnancy
Exploring The Myths: “Drugs”
- One of the most common myths surrounding Chiropractic is the belief that Chiropractors do not advocate the use of medication or surgery.
- Nothing could be further from the truth. Our office works closely with and receives a large number of referrals from area medical physicians.
- We also maintain an extensive list of physicians to whom we refer. We believe by providing treatment options, including drugs when necessary, we can better serve our patients.
How much is enough?
Myth: “Once a patient begins care, they have to keep going the rest of their life.”
- If that were true, we would never have room for new patients.
- Reality: The majority of patients consult our office, get treated, get well, and are released from care…
What about Wellness Care?
- Once the patient’s condition has resolved or reaches the point of maximum therapeutic recovery, they are released PRN and/or instructed to return to their PCP.
- If a patient chooses wellness care, they are instructed on the importance of mental, physical, and spiritual well-being (obviously mental and spiritual concerns are referred elsewhere), and the need to utilize a multi-disciplinary team approach. No type of physician does it all! Chiropractic is but one spoke in the wheel of health.
- Chronic pain: According to the literature, singular treatment interventions are doomed for failure. MDs should be referring to DCs, and DCs should be referring to MDs. It’s the right thing to do for the good of our patients!!
Myth: “Chiropractors have a limited education.”
- Fact: Chiropractors are well educated and trained, completing 4 years of undergraduate studies, 4 years of study at an accredited chiropractic college with heavy emphasis on neuromusculoskeletal dx and tx, followed by passage of stringent national and state board examinations, then followed by the typical yearly CE requirements, a minimum of 24 hours.
- Additionally, post-graduate specialties can be obtained.
- Staubs possesses sub-specialty certifications in both MRI Interpretation and Spinal Biomechanical Engineering and Crash Dynamics.
Why Refer Patients To A Chiropractor?
- If your patient is not responding to traditional medical care, a referral to a chiropractor is often an appropriate and effective alternative. Patients appreciate your willingness to consider other options.
- The types of cases which often frustrate medical physicians are the very types of cases most commonly treated by DCs. LBP, leg pain, neck pain, and headaches are the most common conditions treated in a chiropractic office.
- Chiropractic manipulative techniques and rehab are also very effective for extremity injury.
- Our office houses a very large data base of research.
- A wealth of research exists demonstrating the effectiveness and safety of manipulation for both acute and chronic neck and low back pain.
- Studies and articles concerning soft tissue healing, chronic pain, etiology of pain, and Low Speed Rear Impact Collision (LOSRIC) can be obtained upon request.
If you wish to be added to our monthly research update program, just let us know!
Why Refer To The St. Petersburg Chiropractic Injury & Rehab?
“Trust and Communication”
- Patients are treated only for the condition(s) in which they are referred, and we believe we can help.
- The St. Petersburg Chiropractic Injury & Rehab has been a respected name in St. Petersburg for over 7 years.
- Brief written reports are issued regularly to keep you abreast of the patient’s progress and response to care.
- Patient’s are DISCHARGED once maximal therapeutic benefit has been attained.
Our Office Guarantee
Our office guarantee is simple and reflects the integrity of our staff:
“If we can help someone we will tell them. If we cannot help, we will tell them that as well, and make the appropriate referral.”
- If you have questions regarding chiropractic, our office, or the appropriateness of CMT for your patients, please feel free to call. Staubs, along with the rest of the staff, stand ready to serve.
- Our goal is to exceed both you and your patient’s expectations for care. Our desire is for your patient to report a very pleasant experience in this office. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to call.
- Office: (727) 519-3757
- Email: Drstaubs@stpetersburgchiropracticinjuryrehab.com
- Website: stpetersburgchiropracticinjuryrehab.com
To those of you who regularly refer to our office we say “thank you”! No greater compliment can be paid than the ongoing trust and confidence you place in this office through your referrals.
We will continue to do our best to provide quality Chiropractic care to your patients. Again, thank you.